Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Why college?

For me the question was never "Why college?”, but rather "Which college?"  I always knew that my career options and financial potential would be very limited without a college education.  And there was also the social aspect of college that I wanted to experience by living on my own and meeting a new group of people. My passion has always been to pursue something that involved sports. I’ve played many different sports since elementary school and was fortunate enough to be good at them. However, I also knew that the possibility of playing sports professionally was quite slim. Fortunately for me, my high school offered a broadcasting course. The first day I took a seat in class and the teacher went over what the class was going to be about I knew that class was for me. Our class would film games for our sports teams, produce sports interviews for TV, and compete among other high schools in producing various short subjects. BINGO!  I was pumped! That was all I needed to hear. Now just tell me what I needed to do to get started. Besides producing special and seasonal projects, our class broadcasted a 15 minute show every Friday on news and activities around school. These broadcasts included sports and other ads for upcoming school events. I loved it! I was able to get hands-on experience in filming and editing sports events for 3 of my 4 years at Harrison High School. But mid-way through my senior year, I knew it was time to choose a college that offered a major in the field I wanted to pursue - broadcasting. My ultimate goal has always been to go the University of Georgia, which is where my Dad graduated.  But because I didn't put forth enough effort during my first two years of high school, I knew that UGA might have to wait for now. So I had to do a little research to find a good school that had what I was looking for career wise. I came across JSU and saw that they had an accredited broadcasting program, so I decided to come for a visit. I liked everything about the school and the people I met and decided that JSU was the college I wanted to attend. I had reached my goal of being accepted to a good college where I could pursue a broadcasting degree. Now my next goal is to get to where I have wanted to go since I was a little kid, which is the University of Georgia. 
 

1 comment:

  1. Evan, I think it's great that you knew what you wanted to do at such an early age! As far as the school of your choice goes.. Georgia is a great school! I've been there once before to see them play and I was actually impressed! I too slacked off my first two years of High School and because of that I'm now here at JSU for the next two years, or atleast that is the plan. But remember, everything happens for a reason!

    ReplyDelete